Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Beginning

When I began the process of writing this book last year, I had no idea where to begin. I have learned a lot between now and then. It was suggested that I start a blog on the subject to see if there is any interest out there. After retiring from the federal government in 2006, I had way too much time on my hands. I wanted to do something that was interesting and informative at the same time while having fun in the process. I loved photography, but really didn't have the time to really explore the interest. The first thing I did was buy an expensive, professional DSLR camera and I went out and took pictures, mostly of landscape and my son's baseball games.

I had an idea early in 2007 to write about my favorite bars and taverns. Since my wife and I traveled the country a lot with her job, I have been to a number of really cool bars, some dives and others that had rich histories that dated back to the late 1800's. So with camera in tow, I began my tour of bars and taverns in Arizona in August-October 2007. The intention was to write a book about my favorite bars, which totaled about 25 at the time, in Arizona, Colorado and Ohio (Where I currently live).

The first bar I visited in Arizona led me down a path that would soon lead this project way out of control. You see, as I was taking pictures in the first establishment someone came up to me and asked if I was doing a story about the bar for the paper or a magazine? When I told him I was writing a book about my favorite bars and taverns his eyes lit up and said what a great idea it was and if I like the place I was photographing, he had more suggestions for me. It was like this at every place I went to! Before I knew it, my list of 25 had grown to over 40 in less than 2 weeks of starting out on this journey. I now have over 80 bars, taverns, pubs, saloons, micro pubs and microbreweries under my belt with literally an endless number to do!

In future entries, I will include a sample chapter and share photographs of some of the most interesting bars. I think what I am trying to do here is to get people to start thinking back to a time when the corner bar or tavern was a meeting place, your place. A place where no one judged you and you can have friendly and sometimes not so friendly discussions with friends or other patrons in the bar. As I point out in the book, bars should not be looked at as just drinking places but as an American institution full of memories, history, laughter, love and even sorrow. We have toasted happy events in bars and have also drowned our sorrows. Bars are the embodiment of Americana and I hope you all think so as well.

I will end this post for now with two things to note.

  • The picture of me in my profile was taken at the Royal Oaks in Youngstown, Ohio. At least 6 generations of my family have drank in that bar and it holds a lot of memories for me.
  • The working title of the book is: On and Off the Beaten Path. The Hitchhikers Guide to Bars, Taverns, Pubs, Saloons, Micro Pubs and Micro Breweries in America.

16 comments:

Patti D said...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!

sixsigmapro said...

What a great idea! When will the book be done?

sixsigmapro said...

Hey, have you checked out a bar in warren Ohio called the Wagon Wheel? It's an oldy, but goody.

mother6plus10 said...

great idea. I'd buy a book. bars and taverns are apart of our history and the stories they could tell I find would be very interesting.

Unknown said...

This book would be very interesting when exploring the history of old bars. It would give insight to how we socialized in different eras.

Anonymous said...

viva la Oaks!

Unknown said...

I have at least 4 ideas of places you could check out in and around State College PA, The Corner Room (The Allen Room) upstairs, The Tavern Restaurant & Bar, Duffy's Tavern in Boalsburg PA, and The Lounge at the Nittany Lion Inn.
All nice places, some with history, and variable clientele, but these would be good places too, I'm looking forward to seeing your book on the shelves soon.
Betsy Moon

campoworld said...

sounds great dave! musicians would love this as a reference to the history of the bars they play at, or should be playing at

kenny said...

I think its all a pretty sweet idea. Its a new thing to read about and something ive never read about in a book. Cant wait for it to come out.

brians10 said...

dude...i hate reading but if you get to publish this book, ill buy 2copies!..underage or not, you can appreciate a good place to ponder about life...whether its in your basement hiding from your parents or in a bar conversing with other people...sweet idea man!

bigdaddy1 said...

as an outside salesman I think that this would be a great read to check out the local flavor instead of going to the same old commercial bars. I would much rather support the local tavern

SamanthaW said...

I love the idea for your book. I know personally you have so much passion for everything you have put into the book and have done an amazing job with it. I wish i could be as creative and motivated as you and create something this challenging. Good luck :) i hope to be able to buy it!
:)
Samantha

Juanita D said...

I think that this book will not only be a where to go book but a work on the history. Great idea !! You need to check out the Bee Hive in Colby, Kansas or Crazy R's in Goodland, Kansas

Unknown said...

I think it's a great idea for a project! I wish you well with it! Sounds like something I would want to read.

Unknown said...

Seems like a mighty big undertaking, but knowing you it'll be a great journey. Just make sure there's lots of good Pittsburgh color!

Big D said...

A toast to your work, I'm thirsty for more. Your book will give new meaning to the pharase "raising the bar!" Who'd have thought going out for a beer could be fun and educational.